Position: Regional Editor
Hours: 16 hours per week (2 days)
Contract type: 12 months fixed term, with potential for extension/renewal
Salary: $122.50 USD per day (8 hours),
Start time: ASAP
Application deadline: 4th Jan 2022. Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis.
The Third Pole is seeking a regional editor for Pakistan to join our editorial team. The ideal candidate would have substantial experience working in the media in Pakistan, as a journalist or editor, and will have a wide existing network among reporters, policymakers, experts and media outlets in the country.
This is an opportunity to join a unique, successful and highly motivated team, engaged with some of the most critical issues of our time. The Third Pole promotes communication on environmental issues across the Himalayas and the basins of Himalayan rivers, from Pakistan and Central Asia to the Mekong. With a team of editors based across the region and in London, The Third Pole bridges barriers of communication to promote meaningful exchange and cooperation on issues relating to climate, water and nature, and how these topics interact with livelihoods and equality. The Third Pole commissions high quality reporting from journalists in South, Central and Southeast Asia, as well as comment and opinion from experts and policymakers, and publishes in English, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Nepali and Russian.
The Third Pole is a project of the China Dialogue Trust, a UK registered charity. In addition to The Third Pole, China Dialogue runs the unique, bilingual web platform, www.chinadialogue.net, www.dialogochino.net, which publishes articles in Spanish, Portuguese and English on China’s impact and investment in Latin America, and www.chinadialogueocean.net, which reports on the global ocean crisis.
- Research, pitch, commission and edit articles and multimedia content from journalists and experts in Pakistan focused on water, climate and nature both in Pakistan and in a regional context;
- Liaise with The Third Pole’s editorial team across London and Asia, in particular providing Pakistan-specific editorial ideas, updates and perspectives;
- Write articles where required;
- Coordinate translation of articles into Urdu, and edit translated content;
- With the assistance of the Production Manager and Production Assistants, prepare Urdu language content for online publication incorporating multimedia elements and organisational SEO practices;
- Maintain and develop syndication and content sharing relationships with regional and vernacular media in both English and Urdu;
- Liaise with contacts and partners to maintain and build a network of contributors and dedicated readership in Pakistan, in both English and Urdu;
- Collect, collate and disseminate information on the reach and impact of The Third Pole’s outputs;
- Build recognition in Pakistan by representing The Third Pole at events and webinars;
- Assist with administrative tasks relating to project and budget management.
Skills and experience
- Excellent English writing and editing skills;
- Fluency in spoken and written Urdu;
- Significant experience working as a journalist or in a communications role for an NGO in Pakistan;
- Very strong network among journalists, NGOs, policymakers and media outlets in the region;
- Proven interest in and knowledge of environmental issues in Pakistan;
- Experience in web publishing, social media and/or digital tools;
- Strong skills in project management, problem-solving, multi-tasking, and verbal and cross-cultural communications;
- Ability to work independently and to be self-motivated;
- Ability to work in Pakistan.
- Demonstrable knowledge of issues relating to transboundary rivers, climate change and/or biodiversity in Pakistan and across South and Central Asia and the Himalayas;
- Experience in commissioning, editing and/or producing engaging multimedia content, such as films, animations, infographics and photo essays;
- An understanding of SEO practices;
- Language skills in Hindi, Bengali, Nepali, or Russian.
How to apply
Please submit a CV with at least two references, a cover letter, 2-3 examples of recent, relevant work or clippings and a pitch for two stories that would be suitable for The Third Pole, at least one of which should have a strong multimedia orientation. Applications should be sent to: [email protected]