Position: Editorial Assistant
Hours: Full time (35 Hours Per Week)
Contract type: Permanent
Salary: US$14,400 Per Annum
Start Date: ASAP
Application deadline: 10th December 2020. Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis.
Diálogo Chino and China Dialogue are seeking a native Brazilian Portuguese-speaking editorial assistant to join our Latin American team and support the Brazil editor. The ideal candidate will be an early career journalist with a proven track record of working with environmental issues and a keen interest in exploring data visualisation tools.
The successful candidate will need to be proactive, highly organised and self-motivated, with relevant professional experience paired with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail in their work.
Diálogo Chino is the only independent journalism platform dedicated to better understanding the China-Latin America relationship and its sustainable development challenges. We publish in Spanish, Portuguese and English.
Diálogo Chino is a project of China Dialogue Trust, which disseminates high-quality information and promotes communication on environment and climate change in both Chinese and English. We provide a space for open discussion, to inform and to contribute to equitable and constructive solutions to global environmental problems.
China Dialogue Trust’s primary vehicle is its unique, bilingual web platform, www.chinadialogue.net. China Dialogue Trust has offices in London, Beijing and staff across Latin America and South, Southeast and Central Asia.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to work alongside the growing Diálogo Chino editorial team as a key part of editorial production, working closely with Diálogo Chino’s managing editor and our Brazil editor
- Proven interest in environment and climate change
- Experience in web publishing and management of social media channels;
- Proven interest on data visualisation and other graphics tools;
- Experience using CMS (WordPress). Knowledge of translation plugins is an advantage
- Fluent spoken and written English;
- Experience writing and editing copy;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of China’s foreign policy as it affects Brazil;
- Experience in using data visualisation tools;
- Writing and editing in an SEO-friendly manner;
- A good knowledge of Spanish;
- Experience using adobe suite, or equivalent;
- Experience of applying style guides to written and graphic content.
- sub-editing portuguese content;
- coordinating translation into and from Portuguese;
- working with the editorial team in the design of high quality infographics, maps, charts and other visual elements, and adapting graphics to support articles in Portuguese;
- supporting the managing editor and Brazil editor in sourcing high-res featured images for new Dialogo Chino articles
- supporting the Brazil editor in deepening relationships with republication partners
- support the social media officer in creating and adapting content unique to social media in Portuguese.
How to apply
Please send a CV with references and a covering letter to: [email protected] by 30th November 2020. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to complete an editing test.
Applications should be submitted in English.
For information about how we handle your data, please read our privacy notice.