Position: Latin America Regional Editor
Hours: Part-time (4 hours per week)
Contract type: TBC
Start time: ASAP
Application deadline: 10th December 2020. Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis.
China Dialogue Trust is recruiting a regional editor to support our coverage from the Andean region and to contribute to Diálogo Chino, a project of China Dialogue Trust that focuses on China’s environmental impact in Latin America.
The ideal candidate will be proactive, highly organised and self-motivated, with relevant professional experience paired with excellent writing and verbal communications skills, a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
Full professional proficiency in English is required and fluency in a third language (either Spanish or Portuguese) is desired.
The China Dialogue Trust is an independent non-governmental charity that promotes communication across barriers of language and culture on environment and climate change in order to inform, educate and build a global consensus for equitable and constructive solutions to urgent problems. We do this through the production, publication and dissemination of news and analysis across four websites, each with its own thematic and geographic focus and range of publishing languages.
In the coming years these will increasingly form the foundation of a global dialogue that offers unique insights into South-South developments and an integrated understanding of China’s global presence to an expanded global readership, along with an enhanced appreciation of the diverse perspectives of China’s partners.
Diálogo Chino researches, writes, commissions, edits and publishes multilingual news, reports and analysis on the social and environmental impacts of China’s relationship with Latin America. All content is published in English, Spanish and Portuguese and selected content is published in Chinese on www.chinadialogue.net, bridging the information gap for Chinese audiences and allowing them to understand the sustainable development challenges faced by the rest of the world.
About the role
This is a rare opportunity to join a dynamic team with unique resources in Beijing and London reporting on the social and environmental impacts of China’s engagement with Latin America, and to enhance the reach and impact of Diálogo Chino’s pioneering coverage of this issue. The regional editor will write, edit, commission, and disseminate original and engaging stories that shed new light on the China-Latin America partnership and will help develop our existing network of contributors, and national and regional media partner organisations. This role will work collaboratively and with China Dialogue staff in London and Beijing, and with the existing team of regional editors to provide comprehensive coverage across the entire Latin American region.
China is Latin America’s biggest lender, a major investor and trade partner. Latin America and China have both benefited from this relationship, but concerns persist over the social and environmental impacts of Chinese operations in the region. These range from agriculture and resource extraction, to investment in big transport and energy infrastructure projects. Despite the growing importance of the relationship, the complex drivers behind China’s growing engagement with Latin America are underreported in both Chinese and Latin American media, and cultural and linguistic barriers inhibit mutual understanding. Diálogo Chino is uniquely placed to contribute to a better understanding of these relationships and their impacts on citizens in Latin America, China, and the rest of the world.
- Excellent writing, editing and commissioning skills;
- Significant experience working as an editor, journalist or in a communications role for an NGO or relevant organisation;
- Proven interest in environment and climate change issues, and Chinese operations in the region;
- Very strong networks among journalists, experts, NGOs and policymakers in the region;
- Fluency in English with Spanish and Portuguese language skills;
- Experience producing multimedia stories for online dissemination and targeted towards engaging new and diverse audiences;
- Experience in web publishing, social media and use of CMS systems;
- Strong relationships with professionals in local and national media outlets;
- Strong project management and problem solving skills;
- Flexibility and ability to multitask, verbal and cross-cultural communications skills, and intellectual curiosity;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a geographically-dispersed team.
- Interest in or knowledge of China and international affairs;
- Creative flair and a passion for new and innovative ways of telling stories.
- writing, researching, commissioning and editing original Latin America content with a strong multimedia focus for the project website and its associated web platforms;
- coordinating translation of content, evaluating translation quality and editing translated content;
- liaising with Dialogo Chino’s Managing Editor and with China dialogue editorial teams in London and Beijing on joint editorial projects and themes of mutual interest;
- working with Production Manager to prepare content for online publication and coordinate over selection of images to accompany content;
- uploading content to CMS system
Communications and Marketing
- developing syndication and content sharing relationships with regional and vernacular media;
- working with the Digital Communications and Social Media officer to form a regional communications strategy to raise the profile of Latin America content on China Dialogue
- liaise with project partners and other existing project contacts to build a regional network of contributors and a dedicated readership
How to apply:
Please submit a CV with at least two references, a cover letter, 2-3 examples of recent, relevant work or clippings and a pitch for two stories that would be suitable for Diálogo Chino, at least one of which should have a strong multimedia orientation. Applications should be sent to: [email protected]
Applications should be submitted in English.
The application deadline is 10th December. Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis. Interviews to take place on 7-9th August and will be conducted via Skype. Shortlisted candidates will also be required to complete an editorial exercise in advance of attending the interview.